Thursday, September 16, 2010

HTC Aria Review

The Android operating system has been very quickly gaining popularity ever since its release and now I can see why! I recently purchased an HTC Aria (AT&T) as a replacement for my old Samsung Eternity and all I can say is WOW! This phone does everything! A few friends of mine were going to a car show out in the middle of nowhere and we weren't sure which highway to take, so I busted out my Aria and did a search on Google Maps and within seconds we had Garmin quality turn by turn navigation to guide us there! Thats not all this phone can do, lets say you're out stargazing with your favorite girlfriend, and she asks "what constellation is that?" You can use the Aria's GPS function along with Google Sky Map and tell her "thats Orion's Belt!" But its not all smiles and sunshine with the Aria, there are a few things I am not a fan of. For example, the volume rocker feels very flimsy, and to be honest, it scares me, every time I touch it, it feels like its about to break. This is due to the way the phone is constructed, the battery cover makes up the entire outside of the phone, so when it is detached the volume control rocker comes off with it, this design causes the rocker to feel very cheap. Also, call volume isn't the greatest, even when using the speakerphone function it can be very hard to hear the person on the other line in some situations; Call quality is very good on the other hand. There is a vast amount of apps to choose from from the Android Market, even though you are not allowed to download third-party apps onto the Aria, there is still alot of great apps to be found in the Market, some may be silly, but most are just downright cool! The touch function of the Aria is right up there with the iPhone, as is the 5 Megapixel camera. Picture quality is excellent for a phone that doesn't have a built in flash, as is video quality, my only complaint with the video camera is that in certain loud situations, the built in microphone can get overloaded easily, but only in very select situations. With the iPhone as one of its only competitors, the Android developers really had to hit it out of the park to even come close to the grand daddy of smart phones. And they hit a grand slam with the Aria! I highly recommend this phone for anyone who is looking for a smartphone that is comparable to the iPhone.


8 comments:

  1. I went from the iphone 3g to the aria and then to an iphone 3gs. I enjoyed the aria but I really missed the interface and some of the apps of the iphone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna have to trade my iphone in on an android phone in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if I can abandon my Iphone just yet..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What version of Android does it run? Froyo? How does it compare to my beloved Nexus One?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Typical Tech Monkey, it runs on 2.1, no Froyo for the Aria just yet, its been speculated that AT&T may release a Froyo update sometime in the Fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I have an Iphone and android is way better! just sayin.

    ReplyDelete